SLA launches OneEmap to further GeoSpatial education
4 Sep - The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) is championing the development of geospatial competency among our youth and equipping them with the enterprising spirit and skill sets to become productive leaders in the Smart Nation of tomorrow.
Singapore Geospatial Challenge Business Analytics Mania (SGCBAM)
2. Recognising that Geospatial Analytics plays an increasingly critical role in innovative solutions and furthering the vision of a Smart Nation, SLA collaborated with the staff and students of NUS School of Computing’s Department of Information Systems and BizIT Society, for the first time to organize Singapore Geospatial Challenge Business Analytics Mania (SGCBAM). SGCBAM aims to generate awareness and excitement among pre-university and university students on the subject of geospatial analysis and business analytics application to business scenarios.
3. The two-day event, held from 3-4 September, saw strong participation by 267 students from 17 schools including junior colleges, ITEs, polytechnics and universities, who formed a total of 89 teams. The teams learnt how data analytics tools could be applied to visualise data and generate business insights to support their proposed business solutions.
4. The Award Ceremony for the Singapore Geospatial Challenge was held at NUS University Town.
5. SLA also announced the early release of oneEmap, an online portal that would provide free access to digital maps for all education institutions in Singapore. It would also come with ready-to-use content for classroom instruction, and tools for students and teachers to create and share interactive maps as part of collaborative projects. oneEmap is already used at Serangoon Gardens Secondary School as a pilot project.
Singapore Geospatial Scholarship
6. The Singapore Geospatial Scholarship was presented to Chua Hui Jin Tracey and Yeo Wei Kuan Alvin. The scholarship would provide them with the opportunity to pursue careers in the geospatial field. To drive capability building in Geospatial Information Science and Technology (GIST), SLA, together with IDA, LTA, NEA, PUB, BCA, JTC, URA, launched the Scholarship in early 2014 for undergraduate and post-graduate GIST studies. Scholarship recipients would have the opportunity to work in two of these participating agencies.