Foreign Ownership of Property
WHO IS CONSIDERED A FOREIGN PERSON UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT?
A foreign person means any person who is not any of the following:
- Singapore citizen;
- Singapore company*;
- Singapore limited liability partnership*; or
- Singapore society*.
*Please see FAQs on Clearance Certificate for the purchase of landed residential property
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL?
Each applicant is assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration, including but not limited to, the following factors:
- You should be a permanent resident of Singapore for at least five years; and
- You must make exceptional economic contribution to Singapore. This is assessed taking into consideration factors such as your employment income assessable for tax in Singapore.
TYPES OF PROPERTY FOR WHICH A FOREIGN PERSON MUST SEEK APPROVAL TO PURCHASE UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT
- Vacant residential land;
- Terrace house;
- Semi-detached house;
- Bungalow/detached house;
- Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house);
- Shophouse (for non-commercial use);
- Association premises;
- Place of worship;
- Worker’s dormitory/serviced apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
- Commercial & Residential properties - please click here for FAQs on Commercial & Residential properties.
TYPES OF PROPERTY FOR WHICH A FOREIGN PERSON CAN PURCHASE WITHOUT APPROVAL UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT
- Condominium unit;
- Flat unit;
- Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;
- A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal;
- Shophouse (for commercial use);
- Industrial and commercial properties;
- Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
- Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse. (For this category, you may wish to find out more information on HDB eligibility guidelines at hdb.gov.sg.)
PUBLICLY LISTED HOUSING DEVELOPERS WITH SUBSTANTIAL CONNECTION TO SINGAPORE TO BE EXEMPTED FROM QUALIFYING CERTIFICATE REGIME