Getting Kampong Bugis ready to be a people-centric, car-lite residential precinct
Home > Articles > Highlights > 2018 > Getting Kampong Bugis ready to be a people-centric, car-lite residential precinct
Plans for Kampong Bugis residential precinct
1. The Kampong Bugis precinct will be comprehensively developed into a new people-centric, car-lite waterfront residential precinct in a lush park setting.
2. Kampong Bugis will be an open and inclusive neighbourhood with new community facilities, to foster more interaction among residents. The existing Kallang Riverside Park will be transformed into a lush and vibrant waterfront park. To provide a pedestrian-friendly environment and promote active mobility, the precinct will include a comprehensive network of pedestrian and cycling paths that will connect seamlessly to key public transport nodes.
3. The precinct will also include features that support environmental sustainability such as a precinct-wide pneumatic waste conveyance system for more efficient waste collection, and storm water treatment system.
Benefits of the Master Developer approach
4. To realise the planning vision for Kampong Bugis, a Master Developer will oversee the master planning and development of the precinct, including parks, public spaces, roads, and precinct-level infrastructure systems. This approach supports better integration among buildings and public spaces, connectivity, amenities and other infrastructure.
Land preparatory works for the development of Kampong Bugis
5. Two part-lots of private land will be acquired and merged with the surrounding State land to facilitate comprehensive redevelopment of Kampong Bugis.
6. The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) has gazetted the acquisition of the affected land today. SLA will work closely with and assist the affected landowner through the process.
7. The notification of the land affected by the acquisition has been published in the Gazette on 19 Apr 2018. The Gazette Notification No. 1034 dated 13 Mar 2018 may be found online at www.egazette.com.sg. The affected private property is listed as follows:
8. A plan of the affected land may be inspected during normal office hours at the office of the Collector of Land Revenue, Singapore Land Authority from Monday to Friday except Public Holidays. Any person who wishes to claim an interest in compensation on account of the acquisition, but has not received an acquisition notice, may contact the office of the Collector of Land Revenue, Singapore Land Authority at 1800 323 9829 to arrange for an inquiry to state the nature of his interests in the land, the amount and particulars of his claims to compensation for his interest, the basis or mode of valuation by which the amount claimed is arrived at and his objections, if any, to the measurements of the land to be acquired.
9. SLA will carry out remediation works on the former Kallang Gasworks site, to support redevelopment of the area.
10. As the land was previously used for gas production, remediation works will ensure that the quality of the soil will be suitable for its intended use, in accordance with established international standards.
11. SLA will call a tender for the remediation works today. SLA and its appointed contractor will engage the surrounding community before the commencement of remediation works. A 24-hour public hotline will also be set up for the duration of the works.
12. Should you require additional information, you may also contact the following:
- For matters pertaining to the Kampong Bugis development
- On land acquisition and remediation works