- About SLA
- Join Us
- Contact Us
Circle Line 6 – Becoming A Full Circle
Home > Articles > Highlights > 2015 > Circle Line 6 – Becoming A Full Circle
1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is pleased to announce the alignment and station locations for Circle Line 6 (CCL6).
2. The 4-kilometre CCL6 will have three stations, and will close the loop for the Circle Line (CCL) by connecting HarbourFront Station to Marina Bay Station. When the CCL6 stations of Keppel, Cantonment and Prince Edward are completed in 2025, the CCL will have a total of 33 stations, including 12 interchange stations with other MRT lines. It will also expand the rail network to areas such as Spottiswoode and the southern edge of our existing CBD.
Better Connectivity and Greater Time Savings for Commuters
3. When the works are fully completed in 2025, commuters will enjoy a direct route between areas in the west like Pasir Panjang and Kent Ridge and key employment areas in the Central Business District, as well as upcoming developments in the Marina Bay area. Commuters travelling from areas like Paya Lebar and Mountbatten will also enjoy faster access to the retail and office centres in the HarbourFront area.
4. Today, commuters have to make multiple transfers between Telok Blangah and Marina Bay stations, even though they are on the same line. For instance, a commuter travelling from the Telok Blangah housing estate to the Marina Bay area has to make two MRT transfers (i.e. Circle Line, North East Line and North-South Line). With CCL6, he will reach his destination in a single train ride, saving one third of his travelling time (about 10 minutes).
5. As an orbital line, CCL enhances overall connectivity and capacity, and strengthens the resilience of the MRT network by connecting the existing radial lines and creating multiple routes between stations. For example, a commuter travelling from Jurong East to Marina Bay will have the alternate option of transferring to the Circle Line at Buona Vista Station.
Rail Plans With Sensitively Integrated Solutions
6. Apart from connectivity and accessibility, the integration of the architecture of existing buildings or places of historical significance with the upcoming stations was also taken into consideration. For instance, the Cantonment Station will be sensitively integrated with and will not affect the old Tanjong Pagar Railway Station (TPRS) building, which has been gazetted as a national monument. Meanwhile, as there is a need to remove parts of the former railway station’s train platforms to facilitate the construction of the Cantonment station, LTA and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) will continue to seek advice from the heritage consultant and members of the heritage community on possible solutions for the affected platforms.
Expansion of Circle Line’s Kim Chuan Depot
7. To cater to future needs, Kim Chuan Depot will be expanded to almost double its capacity from 70 to 133 trains. The integrated depot will also house 550 buses, which will allow us to optimise land use. The expansion of the depot will be completed at about the same time as CCL6 in 2025.
8. All efforts have been made to minimise land acquisition. However, the Government will still need to acquire four part lots of private land, consisting of open areas, grass verges, container stacking lots and driveways. As these lots will only be partially affected, the landowners will be able to remain in their current premises.
9. The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) has gazetted the acquisition of the affected land today. The affected landowners will receive acquisition notices. SLA will work closely with them and assist them throughout the acquisition process.
10. The notification of the lands affected by the acquisition has been published in the Gazette on 29 October 2015. The Gazette Notification No. 2970 dated 16 October 2015 may be found online at www.egazette.com.sg. The affected private properties are listed as follows:
|Lot No||Area in sqm||Extent of
|Relevant Street Address|
|23||1307C pt||1,482.1 (sc)||Part||Keppel Distripark|
|23||1365K pt||5,053.1 (sc)||Part||Keppel Terminal|
|23||1337L pt||648.6 (sc)||Part||Tanjong Pagar Distripark|
|23||934W pt||537.8 (sc)||Part||78 Shenton Way|
12. Should you require additional information, you may call the following hotlines:
i. On Circle Line 6 LTA Hotline: 1800 225 5582
ii. On land acquisition matters SLA Hotline: 1800 323 9829