Foreign Ownership of Property
WHO IS CONSIDERED A FOREIGN PERSON UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT?
A foreign person means any person who is not any of the following:
- Singapore citizen;
- Singapore company*;
- Singapore limited liability partnership*; or
- Singapore society*.
*Please see FAQs on Clearance Certificate for purchase of landed residential property
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL?
Each applicant is assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration, including but not limited to, the following factors:
- You should be a permanent resident of Singapore for at least five years; and
- You must make exceptional economic contribution to Singapore. This is assessed taking into consideration factors such as your employment income assessable for tax in Singapore.
TYPES OF PROPERTY FOR WHICH A FOREIGN PERSON MUST SEEK APPROVAL TO PURCHASE UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT
- Vacant residential land;
- Terrace house;
- Semi-detached house;
- Bungalow/detached house;
- Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house);
- Shophouse (for non-commercial use);
- Association premises;
- Place of worship; and
- Worker’s dormitory/serviced apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act).
TYPES OF PROPERTY FOR WHICH A FOREIGN PERSON CAN PURCHASE WITHOUT APPROVAL UNDER THE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY ACT
- Condominium unit;
- Flat unit;
- Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;
- A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal;
- Shophouse (for commercial use);
- Industrial and commercial properties;
- Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
- Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse. (For this category, you may wish to find out more information on HDB eligibility guidelines at hdb.gov.sg or email HDB at firstname.lastname@example.org.)