SLA Logo
Home > FAQ > Land Survey Services
Print Friendly
Survey Services

Q1 Where can I obtain a plan that shows the boundaries, lot number and area of my property?
A. You can obtain the information from the Integrated Land Information Services (INLIS) website at . Alternatively, you may visit us at:

8 Shenton Way, #26-01
Temasek Tower.

The operating hours are:
8.30am - 5.30pm   (Monday to Friday)
8.30am - 1.00pm   (Saturday)

Q2 What should I do if I want to resurvey or subdivide my property?
A. You need to engage a private Registered Surveyor to carry out a cadastral survey of your property. For a list of the private registered surveyors, please visit the website of the Land Surveyors Board at The Registered Surveyor has to submit the completed survey to the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) for approval by the Chief Surveyor. For subdivision of your land, the Registered Surveyor or developer needs to seek prior approval from the Planning Department, URA.

Q3 How much are the survey fees that do I have to pay?
A. The amount of survey fee payable to the Chief Surveyor is governed by the Boundary and Survey Maps (Singapore Land Authority Fees) Rules. Your registered surveyor will be able to advise you on this as the fee depends on the size of the land parcel.

For the amount of fees payable in advance to the Singapore Land Authority, please click here.

Q4 How long will a boundary survey take?
A. The service standard for the Chief Surveyor to approve the survey plans are:
  1. For processing RT job - Within 7 working days

  2. For processing CPST job - Within 10 working days

  3. For processing CP job - Within 14 working days

  4. For issuing new lot numbers - Next working day

The time frame for the above service levels does not include any period of time for the following situation:
  1. The query period from the date the Chief Surveyor notifies the Registered Surveyor of any query to attend to the date the Registered Surveyor returns the job upon attending to the query.

  2. All Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

  3. Any period for which consultations are made with other parties to resolve any issue.

These periods, where applicable, are taken as stoppage time to offset such periods from the time frame of the service level.

Q5 What should I do if I want to ascertain enroachment onto my land?
A. You are advised to engage a private Registered Surveyor to carry out a survey to ascertain the enroachment. For a list of private registered surveyors, please visit the website of the Land Surveyors Board at

Q6 What should I do if the boundary mark of my property is destroyed or removed?
A. Under the Boundaries and Survey Maps Act, every land owner should preserve the boundary marks erected on the boundaries of their land. If he is aware of any mark being destroyed or removed, he should inform the Chief Surveyor. The Chief Surveyor may direct the boundary mark to be restored. If the person who destroyed or removed the boundary mark cannot be found, the cost is to be paid by the owners of the adjacent lands as determined by the Chief Surveyor.

Q7 I intend to buy a strata unit and the measurements I have made by running a tape around the internal walls give me an area lesser than the official area shown on a Certified Plan. Why is this so?
A. The area of the strata unit is calculated from the middle of the structural walls. Furthermore, internal ducts are common property which should be deducted from your measured area. Hence, measuring from the internal walls would give you an area that is different from the official area. You need to look at the Certified Plan to know what is included and excluded in the official area.

Q8 What is "land"?
A. Shorelines, including sides of tidal rivers, are known as natural feature boundaries when they form the boundaries of land parcels. In the context of Survey Department's practice, these boundaries are defined by the 2.515m High Water Mark (HWM) abouve the Admiralty Chart Datum. The reduced level of the 2.515m HWM is 0.960m above Mean Sea Level which is the Survey Department's precise levelling datum. By definition, "land" is from and above the 2.515m HWM while "foreshore" or "seabed" is below this line.

Q9 Without GPS can the coordinated cadastre work?
A. One of the main reasons for implementing the coordinated cadastre is the utilisation of GPS. However, with the main supporting infrastructure being ISN, surveying can continue even without the use of GPS.

Q10 Will my boundaries change after implementation of the coordinated cadastre?
A. Your boundaries will remain as they are on the ground. However, coordinates of boundary marks would have changed under the new system.

Q11 Will one same point have two different coordinates?
A. One point is unique unless referred to different datums or projections.

Q12 What systems are other countries using ?
A. Different countries are using their own system, but for most of the countries implementing a new system, they share one common point in that their coordinate system is also GPS enabled by referring to a geocentric datum.

Q13 How does our new system compare with that of other countries?
A. Our system is somewhat similar to other countries in using the WGS84 spheroid that could reference positions using GPS surveying.

Q14 What is SIMRSN?
A. SIMRSN is a research collaboration between SLA (Singapore Land Authority), NTU (Nanyang Technological University) and UNSW (University of New South Wales).

Q15 In what ways could SIMRSN support the coordinated cadastre?
A. SIMRSN could support surveying activities to make surveying more accurate using Differential GPS techniques. This could potentially enable GPS surveying to be conducted in Real-Time.

Q16 Are marks permanent?
A. Marks demarcating the limits of any property are permanently locally. But as the whole world is moving, so are your marks!

Q17 What is E-submission?
A. E-submission is a new way of submitting jobs by registered surveyors, with the status of jobs being tracked till approval, without the hassle of making a trip to the office, thus saving them time and money.

Q18 How does an ISN marker look like?
Survey Services
Q19 Are heights affected?
A. Although GPS surveying provide information regarding heights (ellipsoidal height), the official height recognition in Singapore is through levelling from benchmarks. However, it is possible for heights to be obtained using GPS surveying from a geoid model for Singapore.

Q20 What legislations were amended due to a change to the coordinated cadastre?
A. There are two main amended legislations: Boundaries and Survey Maps Act, Land Surveyors (Conduct of Cadastral Surveys) Rules under the Land Surveyors Act.

Overview Back to Top

Best viewed using IE6.0 & above with 1024 X 768 pixel resolution